Here we go.
Riding skill would be a skill that improves your mounted performance in and out combat. To level up the skill, you simply should use your mount, moving around the map. It would be an extremely hard skill to maximize, taking lots of time and travels.
As most skills, it caps at 50 points.
Every 1 point in Riding gives you:
- +0.4% bonus (max. +20% at level 50) on mounted Movement Speed, on top of base mount speed. So a 100% mount would move at 120% move speed while a 80% mount at 96%.
- +0.2% bonus in Defense and Dodge chance . Dodge chance is capped at 80% as usual.
- +0.2 bonus in Damage using spears (max. +10 at level 50) New items (spears)/Spears skill should be added first so this could work properly, though, so you might forget this last part for now.
Two usable moves:
- At 15 skill level - "Tireless Gallop" - For the next 7 seconds, your sprinted movement will not use horse's/rider's Stamina.
- At 25 skill level - "Horse Charge" - Runs 20% faster in a straight line, for the next 3 seconds. You can't switch direction and colliding with anything but a player will end the effect and put the skill on cooldown. If collides with another player, hits an instant blow with the weapon player have equipped doing regular weapon damage +50%.
As a side-effect, player might got stunned if stumble on something.
Also, I'm quite sure that you guys are already working on a similar idea of my following suggestion, but here it goes nonetheless.
It divides horses under 3 categories.
- Beligerant - Improves rider's mounted damage.
- Bulky - Improves rider's mounted Absorption and Defense.
- Fast - Improves mounted Movement Speed and Dodge chance.
All above horse types would have 5 levels, like tiers (such as equips: copper, bronze, iron, steel and noble), each rank giving a +1% bonus on the relevant skill.
For instance, a Beligerant horse tier 5 would give +5% on players mounted damage while a Bulky horse tier 3 would give +3% on rider's mounted Absorption and Defense.
A player will increase the animal level through breeding and training.
A horse of any type could be equipped with horse armors, light or heavy, saddles and horseshoes.
- Saddles - Gives a bonus in Riding skill, depending on the quality. Saddle is needed to mounted combat, otherwise the player will get a penalty.
- Horseshoes - Gives a bonus on mounted movement speed over pavimented tiles (it would add some functionality/utility to player made roads).
- Light/heavy armor - Increases mount's HP/Defense, gives some bonus Defense and Absorption to the rider and reduces speed. Maybe -10% speed to light and -20% to heavy.
Well, that's it for now. I'll wait and see the incoming taming patch before suggesting more awesome stuff. :)