Hello there again,
Today I come with a rather world changing idea. It involves the world we play in aka the map. I've seen suggestions about more biomes and alterations to the map but my suggestion is far more deeper.
Multiple maps! Much like how PlanetSide 2 has 3 planets allow us to travel to new lands off the edges of our current map. Small maps, medium maps, large maps you could do all sorts of things. Heck make an ocean and a charting system with a seafaring skill to raise. The whole thing can be text in a ui but I'm getting carried away.
Tech wise this could be accomplished by linking server. A cluster of servers running your maps based on load would be how many maps each server could handle. In theory a single server could handle the same game with more maps. I'm just thinking future proofing for 1000s of people.
Now let me expand upon my multiple map idea some more:
- Bandits and raids. Something more for the PvE crowds and additional dangers for PvP. Small bands of human raider could appear and go after towns. The dead bodies could leave a clue on where their base is. Go there switch maps and raid their base to destroy its dominium and prevent further attack in the area.
- Rare hunts/treasures. Walking around and find a cave. Go in and switch maps that is just a tunnel like the walls used in corrupted land leading to some elite animal that could be guarding a treasure or have some rare pelt for crafting.
- Mining. Just like above except it's just for mining.
- Adding in new biomes. I think this one would be easier than adjusting the current map to accommodate a new biome. You could in fact add in a whole kingdom from lowlands to mountains to swamps to forests and we travel it like classic Zelda games.
- Isle of Polecats. 'Nuff said.
- Second stories to houses. Simply a map on top of the map that lets us have a second story. Worry about seeing out of it later.