After 2 weeks of testing both on the alpha and test server, my conclusion is that the game needs more longevity than it has currently.
The start is great; building up your base and getting the basic economy up and running keeps most players busy for days and weeks.
After that is all done, currently all that remains is pvp.
Pvp in itself can be fun and keep people busy. But usually, there needs to be people to pvp with (duh), and there needs to be a goal to it to keep it going.
In this game the goal can be to gain gears and materials from your opponent, and when sieging bases the same applies on a larger scale.
But what happens when you no longer need said materials? A big driver for pvp vanishes.
On a side note and posted by others and me earlier, currently pvp is not really working - it is too easy to dodge ranged weapons and melee weapons only work on people that stand still.......naked people with pickaxes roam around freely without fear of getting killed other than by animals.
So, pvp needs a long term goal. Usually the bigger the reward, the better the long term goal gets.
If we take a look at other games that here are some suggestions:
- ranking lists (number of kills) - best of the month could get an unique armor or weapon
- ability to capture landmarks or buildings for permanent or long term advantages (capture a castle that holds a merchant for rare materials, or claim a river crossing to be able to collect toll are just some examples of this mechanic)
- killing others to get their ingame currency that can be spend on blueprints or gears in merchant areas - yea i know not many fans for that, but playing to be the richiest guy on the server can keep a lot of people busy for a long time
Of course in the pve area other games came up with tons of ideas to keep people playing in the "endgame".
- guilds and guild goals like building a guild hall or town
- raids with 10-20-40 people to defeat strong bosses (kill a dragon!)
- collecting sets of collectibles (like rare items that can be found, if you complete them you get a reward, RIFT did this)
- community building projects like building a bridge or huge statue to get server bonusses
- finding unique blueprints that can only be found playing the game (no cash shop) and can be on the loottables of bosses or in chests that spawn in castles or dungeons that are not player made and need to be "conquered"
I realize that most of these things take a ton of time to implement, but my gut feeling says we really need some sort of longevity to keep the current players playing and gain more players.